Thursday, February 2, 2012

Character Training


This morning while I was unloading last nights dishes and reloading our breakfast dishes into the dishwasher my four year old daughter, Hudsyn came to me and offered to help. I looked around and couldn't find anything out of place, so I asked if she'd like to clean the front of the dishwasher. She jumped at the opportunity, she always does. She loves to help clean and help with the babies. I almost never cook without her by my side. She is a sweet girl who loves to have a "job" to do. It gives her a sense of accomplishment, she takes pride in her work. So, while she happily moved from the dishwasher to the stove front her five year old sister, Bella came and asked what she was doing. I told her Hudsyn wanted to help me clean so I "let" her clean the front of the appliances. I think it was the appeal of the cleaning product I was spraying on the appliances for Hudsyn that intrigued Bella and she offered to help as well. You might think this wouldn't be of much interest but Bella doesn't like to clean, she almost always waives her chore money and allows someone else to do her "extra chores" (I find things for the kids to do if they want to earn more money than their normal chores pay out). So today when she asked to help I was very intrigued. I wasn't sure how long it would last but I told her she could clean the cabinet doors if she would like. She gladly grabbed some paper towels and waited for me to spray her first cabinet door down. I watched her as she very carefully opened each door and cleaned the inside as well. Then she would pull out the drawers and clean all around them. In the end she cleaned every single cabinet (the lower half anyway). I praised her as she worked. I made sure to stay in the kitchen with her as to keep her company and to use that time with her as an opportunity to talk about anything that was important to her at the moment. Hudsyn had scampered off long before Bell finished the first side of the kitchen. Everyone else was upstairs playing. It gave me an chance to have some great one on one time with her. I was so proud of her since diligence is not one of her strongest characteristics. I gave her a hug and kiss and told her that because of her diligence I wanted to reward her with a movie night! It is a much anticipated event at our house. However, it isn't normally something that is earned as a reward. I really wanted to make a big deal of her hard work as to encourage her to make a pattern of diligent work. After our movie I reminded everyone that Bell had earned our movie night and that we should all thank her. As everyone did I saw her little face light up. She was proud of herself. It really blessed my heart  to see my sweet girl feel the satisfaction of a job well done. I am so thankful for the opportunity to be able to encourage her today. I pray that God will always remind me to never regard my childrens character training as common place.

Maezy "helping" put away the silverware. As soon as they want to help I find them a job.
Greysen "helping" Maezy!

Everyone loves when we use the popcorn maker! It makes it more special!!!

Yummy!
Everyone ready for the movie! The little girls had their Daddy baby sitting their baby dolls. He did a great job! He took it very seriously because it was serious to them!

No comments: