Friday, April 7, 2017

School

This season of life has really been a challenge for me. Having a difficult pregnancy and delivering Hensley near 3 weeks sooner than I expected really threw me for a loop. Breastfeeding was a terrible struggle for Hensley and I and ultimately, I decided that bottle feeding was better than a really stressed out momma. Kaitlynne moved out and into her grandparents a short couple weeks after I delivered Hensley. Hensley has had a couple of medical concerns that have kept me a bit uneasy. My uncle passed away and one week later Papaw passed. Kaitlynne struggled through her first breakup and it was much harder than I anticpaited. There have been 1000 other small struggles mixed in through the last 10 weeks. Through the challenging days, I tried to keep a small sense of normalcy for the kids. That was mainly in the form of school. Although for the first moth or month and a half we only managed to get math and reading, online art lessons, learning games and piano lessons done. I've had to become okay with doing some subjects online that we haven't in the past, math, reading and spelling, but have found some great resources and it's been going so well I plan on continuing.

We have always schooled year round only taking breaks when we went on a field trip or had a doctor appointment. I'm going to try a different schedule for a while and see if it benefits our family. We are still going to school year round but take one week off a month. We usually take off December from official school studies and focus on Christmas school, which we will still do and we will continue to take off birthdays. We will still far exceed the days that Michigan recommends for schooling but will have small focused breaks. During the off week, I will plan the next 3 (or 4 if it's a 5 week month) weeks of art and science projects, order the materials, print off any worksheets, plan literature read aloud's, and organize it so it's ready for the next 3-4 week block of school.

Moving into the summer season I don't plan on resuming our full school schedule, just a portion. This  will be our schedule until the fall. 

Mornings:
Grapevine Studies (stick figuring through the Bible) 
Prayer 
Morning meeting (discussing the days events)

Read aloud time: 
Literature 
Science: (Sassafras Adventures: Zoology)
History: Who Was series: Presidents 

Morning Chores 

Day 1:Art 
Day 2: Sign Language
Day 3: Science Project
Day 4: Poetry Tea Time & Baking with the girls 
Day 5: Piano Lessons and SOTW audio 
Day 6 (every other week): Field Trip Friday

Evening Chores

Evenings:
Reading (online) 
Math (online)
Spelling (online) 
Paino Practice for T, B, H and M

The kids eat a bedtime snack while they are working through their evening school subjects then brush their teeth and head to bed. 


No comments: